Regulations Governing Interpreter Requirements, State-by-State

This website is maintained without financial support. We depend completely on you, the reader,
to provide us with updates and corrections. The last time a given state's regs has been updated appears in the right-most column. If it seems outdated, it's because we have no received any new information.
It is the responsibility of the reader to inform us of updates, as we do no actively pursue them.
Please email these to

Alabama  Alaska  Arizona  Arkansas  California  Colorado  Connecticut  Delaware 
District of Columbia  Florida  Georgia  Hawaii  Idaho  Illinois  Indiana  Iowa  Kansas 
Kentucky  Louisiana Maine  Maryland  Massachusetts  Michigan  Minnesota  Mississippi 
Missouri  Montana  Nebraska  Nevada  New Hampshire  New Jersey  New Mexico 
New York  North Carolina  North Dakota  Ohio  Oklahoma  Oregon  Pennsylvania 
Rhode Island  South Carolina  South Dakota  Tennessee  Texas  Utah  Vermont 
Virginia  Washington  West Virginia  Wisconsin  Wyoming   


Certification/Licensure Requirements by Venue



Governing Body

Contact Person

Mailing Address

Email Address



Last Updated

Key: Nat'l=National Certification required; 
State=State Certification and/or Licensure required
If it is blank, this means that no certification/licensure is required, or we have been unable to obtain the necessary information



State Agencies


All Venues

None Required



Thanks to Dawn M. Saunders, Florida Department of Educations, for the following information.

Currently, there are no requirements for Educational Interpreters in Florida , beyond what school districts may require.  If a school district hires interpreters as paraprofessionals and they are working in Title I schools, then they would need to meet the highly qualified requirements of NCLB.  Other than that, NCLB does not have highly qualified requirements for educational interpreters.  

Also, in accordance with Section 90.6063, Florida Statutes, qualified interpreters are required for all judicial proceedings and in sessions of a grand jury wherein a deaf person is a complainant, defendant, witness, or otherwise a party, or wherein a deaf person is a juror or grand juror, the court or presiding officer… For the purposes of this section, the term "qualified interpreter" means an interpreter certified by the National Registry of interpreters for the Deaf or the Florida Registry of interpreters for the Deaf or an interpreter whose qualifications are otherwise determined by the appointing authority.

You may view this statute at  Memorandum  Standards  Chart


State or Nat'l



We understand that the state requirement that educational interpreters be state or nationally certified might not currently be enforced. 

Rules of the State BOE pertaining to Special Education (12 June 2003)

Code: IDDF(11)


   (1) Unless otherwise specified under program areas, the following guidelines shall apply:

   (a) Maintenance of current credentials shall be the ongoing responsibility of any professional employed by or under contract with a local school system/state-operated program (LSS/SOP). Maintenance of records of current credentials shall be the ongoing responsibility of the LSS/SOP.

   (b) The school system shall recruit and maintain an adequate supply of qualified (certified or licensed) personnel, including special education, related services and leadership personnel, to meet the needs of students with disabilities. [Refer to CFR 300.23]

   1. Have earned an EIPA of at least 3.5 that is no more than 5 years old, and continue to recognize valid RID certification.

   2. Maintenance of current credentials shall be the ongoing responsibility of any educational interpreter employed by a LSS/SOP for purposes of educational interpreting for students who are deaf or hard of hearing. Maintenance of records of current credentials of educational interpreters must be filed with other personnel records (e.g., teacher certification credentials).

   3. Educational interpreters currently employed by a LSS/SOP, or those hired in subsequent school years, must have a GQAS Rating of Level I or II, and have in place a professional plan of development leading to a GQAS rating of Level III or higher, within a period not to exceed two school years. The two-year professional plan of development may not be extended or renewed. These plans shall be filed with the LSS/SOP employing the educational interpreter.              7/11/12


Hawaii DOE (schools) requires educational interpreters to have either the EIPA (preferred), RID/NIC, or HQAS (Hawaii Quality Assurance). Please refer to the following website for Hawaii's regulations on educational interpreters: 

Disability and Communication Access Board -  Disability and Communication Access Board  Kristine Pagano
Communication Access Specialist
919 Ala Moana Blvd. Room 101  Honolulu, Hawaii 96814  808-586-8130 (TTY)
808-586-8129 2/6/2011
Idaho EIPA or Nat'l        


IDAHO EDUCATIONAL INTERPRETER ACT Summary Sheet Idaho has legislation that was implemented on July 1, 2009. This legislation is the Idaho Educational Interpreter Act. It is the Idaho Statute: Title 33, Chapter 13. This requires a minimum standard for Educational Interpreters. Those interpreters using sign language can show they meet the minimum standard with one of the following three options:

1- Obtaining a 3.5 or higher on the EIPA (Educational Interpreter Performance Assessment) 2- NAD Level 3 or higher certification and have kept it current 3- RID Certified

Other staff who fall under this minimum standard qualification requirement are: Oral Transliterators: RID certified, OTC (Oral Transliteration Certificate) Cued Speech Transliterators: certified by the TECUnit.

Every interpreter/transliterator will be required to have 80 hours of training in the area of interpreting or transliterating every five years. This training must be documented and may include home study coursework, seminars, workshops and mentoring programs.

A graduate of an interpreter education program may work as an educational interpreter before meeting the requirements of the minimum standard for one year, following graduation. At that time, the interpreter needs to show that they meet the minimum standard.

Educational interpreters that have not worked in a public school setting in Idaho, prior to the July 1, 2009 implementation date, may apply in writing to the Bureau Board for an emergency authorization. This emergency authorization, if granted, will allow an interpreter to work as an educational interpreter for two years before being required to meet the minimum standard requirement.

*Please take note that meeting the minimum standard does not mean the educational interpreter is “certified”, unless they hold a national certification from one of the organizations listed above. Obtaining an adequate score on the EIPA is not certification.

The Idaho Educational Interpreter Act can be found in its entirety at

Thank you to Joelynne Ball, M.S. Interpreter Education Coordinator Idaho Educational Services for the Deaf and the Blind for this information!

The Idaho Educational Interpreter Act can be found in its entirety at 

Idaho State Department of Education Joelynne Ball, M.S., Interpreter Education Coordinator 3071 E. Franklin Rd., Suite 212
Meridian, ID 83642  208-901-1308 v/txt
208-855-0145 12/18/12
Illinois EIPA State State State State The Illinois Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing Commission regulates the licensure of interpreters in the state of Illinois.
Educational: 3.5 or above for standard approval or RID or Il-BEI Basic rating or above.
All other interpreting jobs require a state license. A state BEI or nat'l certification allows one to apply for a license to work, and the appropriate license level is required prior to working in a specific field (i.e. legal, medical, performing arts, etc)>

Illinois Deaf & Hard of Hearing Commission Paul Menkis, Chairman 1630 S. Sixth Street
Springfield, IL 62703  877-455-3323 217-557-4492 11/16/14




For educational settings:

1. Indiana DOE chief of special education supports the educational interpreting standard fully and it is required for all educational interpreters. The minimum level at this time (until 2010) is registration with DHHS, and proof that one works in the school setting. Two CEUs (20 hours) are required in specific settings each year. One CEU in language and lingustics (also including training in codes and other controversial methods of communicating with Deaf children if such is used in the specific school), and the other CEU from a list of six categories including ethics, child development, audiology, Deaf history and culture, Interpreting theory, language development.

2. After 2010 all new hires must have the RID CI or CT (or the test outlined in the rule on our website if a code or other controversial method of communication is used in that school…) Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services Amy Mattern, Secretary 402 W. Washington Street, W45
P.O. Box 7083
Indianapolis, IN 46207-7083  800-962-8408   12/6/2003




The state requires a 3.5 or above on the EIPA for Educational Interpreters.

Iowa requires a license from the Iowa Department of Public Health, Bureau
of Professional Licensure

Requirements are to successfully pass one of the following examinations- NAD level III or above; or  one of the following RID NTS: CI, CT, CI/CT, IC/TC, CSC, CDI; or NIC generalist test, certified deaf interpreter test,
or oral tranliteration test; or EIPA with a score of 3.5 obtained after December 31, 1999.

Iowa does require NAD 3,4 or 5, or any RID endorsed certification, and proper filing for a license through the state Board of Interpreters for the Hearing Impaired Examiners. EIPA 3.5 ended up being accepted, as well. Temporary license will be granted to those without these credentials until July 2007 by application to the Board. Specific information can be obtained by visiting the website for the Board:

Write to me with any questions

Mary Brandt, CI, CT, NAD IV
Iowa State Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf
712-832-9630             10/25/2005
Kansas EIPA           Note: We are awaiting update to this information - stay tuned.
The state requires a 4.0 or above on the EIPA for Educational Interpreters. (Information courtesy of Kimberly L. Symansky, Kansas Department of Education)
Kansas Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing -  Kansas Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Robert J. Cooper
KCDHH Executive Director
915 SW Harrison
Docking State Office Building – 8th Floor W
Topeka, KS 66612
Robert J. Cooper Videophone: (785) 246-5077
Main: (785) 368-8034 voice
FAX: (785) 368-7467 11/16/2014
Kentucky Nat'l Nat'l Nat'l Nat'l Nat'l
To work in the Commonwealth you must be licensed, and to be licensed you must be nationally certified, with few exceptions. See "Laws and Regulations Relating to Licensure as an Interpreter" as published by the Kentucky Board of Interpreters f/t Deaf/HoH

There is a bit of difference between pre-K-12 schools and postsecondary (PS). One may interpret in both settings with a temporary license (undisclosed as to how many times one can renew a temp). However, it depends on how one achieved that temp license. The temp licensee must have an NAD 3 to interpret PS (doesn't include interns). The SCPI - which doesn't measure interpreting proficiency, only communication skills - will result in a temp license that can be used in Pre & K-12 settings. The state is now looking at this and is watching what RID does with that Educational Eval. There are those who say national certification only - RID or NAD 4/5, those who want RID 3 to come under full licensure, those who push for the SCPI ... There are still schools that try to evade the licensure issue by calling the position something other than "interpreter." The Kentucky Board of Interpreters for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Jeff Boler, Board Administrator Division of Occupations and Professions
P.O. Box 1360
Frankfort, KY 40602  502-564-3296, Ext. 237 502-696-5890 1/20/2006
Louisiana EIPA 3.0> Nat'l Nat'l Nat'l Nat'l
The state requires a 3.0 or above on the EIPA for Educational Interpreters, plus a Cued Speech requirement. (Thanks June Street, Louisiana Department of Education

Per "RS 46:2351, CHAPTER 32. THE LOUISIANA COMMISSION FOR THE DEAF," all interpreters must be "qualified" (meaning RID certified) unless a certified interpreter cannot be found, then a non-certified interpreter may be used              4/21/2008