Regulations Governing Interpreter Requirements, State-by-State

This website is maintained without financial support. We depend completely on you, the reader,
to provide us with updates and corrections. The last time a given state's regs has been updated appears in the right-most column. If it seems outdated, it's because we have no received any new information.
It is the responsibility of the reader to inform us of updates, as we do no actively pursue them.
Please email these to

Alabama  Alaska  Arizona  Arkansas  California  Colorado  Connecticut  Delaware 
District of Columbia  Florida  Georgia  Hawaii  Idaho  Illinois  Indiana  Iowa  Kansas 
Kentucky  Louisiana Maine  Maryland  Massachusetts  Michigan  Minnesota  Mississippi 
Missouri  Montana  Nebraska  Nevada  New Hampshire  New Jersey  New Mexico 
New York  North Carolina  North Dakota  Ohio  Oklahoma  Oregon  Pennsylvania 
Rhode Island  South Carolina  South Dakota  Tennessee  Texas  Utah  Vermont 
Virginia  Washington  West Virginia  Wisconsin  Wyoming   


Certification/Licensure Requirements by Venue



Governing Body

Contact Person

Mailing Address


Email Address



Last Updated

Key: Nat'l=National Certification required; 
State=State Certification and/or Licensure required
If it is blank, this means that no certification/licensure is required, or we have been unable to obtain the necessary information



State Agencies


All Venues

None Required

Maine State State State State State
State licensure is required ($300 annually), but not national certification. Office of Licensing & Regulation Elaine Thibodeau, Administrator #35 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333-0035  207-624-8617 207-624-8637 4/12/2004
See information here on state's task force: 



You need to pass the state screening offered by MCDHH. That is recognized everywhere. Massachusetts Commission for the Deaf & Hard of Hearing Heidi Reed, Commissioner 150 Mount Vernon Street
Suite 550
Boston, MA 02125 800-882-1155 617-740-1699 11/16/14
Michigan Nat'l or State QA Nat'l or State QA Nat'l or State QA Nat'l or State QA Nat'l or State QA

Michigan no longer uses the old MI QA certification system, discontinued 2009. In 2009 Michigan began administering the TX BEI exam, levels are called the BEI 1, 2 and 3. Michigan also recognizes RID, NAD and EIPA 3.5 or above credentials, with an eventual phase in of an EIPA 4.0 required for K-12 interpreters. Please see site in the forms and publications for a listing of credential and CEU requirements. Rules and regulations are currently being promulgated for the Michigan Deaf Persons Interpreter Act amended 2007. Department of Civil Rights - Division on Deaf and Hard of Hearing Sheryl Emery, Director  Division Phone (877) 499-6232
Division Videophone (517) 507-5223
(517) 335-7773 6/26/13
Minnesota State or Nat'l        


Current legislation reads:

122A.31 American sign language/English interpreters.

Subdivision 1. Requirements for American sign language/English interpreters. (a) In addition to any other requirements that a school district establishes, any person employed to provide American sign language/English interpreting or sign transliterating services on a full-time or part-time basis for a school district after July 1, 2000, must:

(1) hold current interpreter and transliterator certificates awarded by the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID), or the general level interpreter proficiency certificate awarded by the National Association of the Deaf (NAD), or a comparable state certification from the commissioner of education; and

(2) satisfactorily complete an interpreter/transliterator training program affiliated with an accredited educational institution.               12/6/2003


At this juncture, Mississippi neither requires certification nor licensure for educational interpreters.  Rather, LEAs submit qualifications of person(s) who desire to be Educational Interpreters to the MDE-OSE where resume/background is reviewed prior to approval of funding for Educational Interpreters.   Task Force Gina Sherman      10/8/2004
Missouri EIPA State State State State   For the EIPA, Uses a calculation to align with state QAST, not psychometrically valid or sanctioned

Licensure and certification required to practice anywhere within the state. 

Eligibility for evaluation.
209.302. An evaluation shall be available to the following, including, but not limited to:
(1) New interpreters;
(2) Uncertified, qualified interpreters;
(3) Certified interpreters, advancing to another certification level;
(4) An interpreter who is certified by a certification system other than the commission;
(5) Uncertified interpreters who have not interpreted for one year or more; and
(6) Interpreter trainers.

(L. 1994 S.B. 568 6 subsec. 4)

Additionally, Missouri now utilizes the Board for Evaluation of Interpreters (BEI) testing system. 

Missouri State Committee of Interpreters Pamela Groose, Executive Director 3605 Missouri Boulevard
P. O. Box 1335
Jefferson City, MO 65102-1335  573-526-7787 573-526-3489 10/14/2014


  Regarding use of interpreter in judicial/administrative proceedings -                4/1/2005
Nebraska EIPA Nat'l Nat'l       Proposed legislation - go to:[1].31.04.doc  - this is a rather large Word doc and will take a while to open. You may also go to the following for more info:  - btw, you need Acrobat Reader to open this - that utility is available free on the web - let me know if you need the link to d/l it.

This bill identified above is the final reading back in 2002, posted to their site in 2003. It does not indicate whether it passed or not - I can only assume it didn't.

Going to you will find that educational interpreters must be "qualified" and that this means they must have one or more of the following: 1) RID certification (which one?); 2) NAD level 4 or above certification; 3) EIPA level 3.5 or above; and 4) QAST level 4 or above. There are all sorts of clauses in this "guide" that provide for exemptions or a "staying" of these requirements, but the bottom line is that educational interpreters in Nebraska must meet minimum standards (certified, minimum level, etc.).

There is a Nebraska Sign Language Interpreter Review Board  which is charged with licensing interpreters who work for any entity in the state that receives state money.

Nebraska Guidelines for Education Interpreters - Acrobat (PDF) file -'kansas%20guidelines%20for%20educational%20interpreters

Nebraska Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Tanya Wendel, Executive Director 4600 Valley Road 
Suite 420 
Lincoln, NE 68510-4844  402-471-3593 402-471-3067 1/2/2004
Nevada EIPA State State State State   The state requires a 4.0 or above on the EIPA for Educational Interpreters.

State law pertaining to interpreters can be found at Many exceptions exist within this law based mainly upon purported shortages of interpreters who meet the requirements of the legislation.   Carolyn Bass     6/8/2005