Regulations Governing Interpreter Requirements, State-by-State

This website is maintained without financial support. We depend completely on you, the reader,
to provide us with updates and corrections. The last time a given state's regs has been updated appears in the right-most column. If it seems outdated, it's because we have no received any new information.
It is the responsibility of the reader to inform us of updates, as we do no actively pursue them.
Please email these to

Alabama  Alaska  Arizona  Arkansas  California  Colorado  Connecticut  Delaware 
District of Columbia  Florida  Georgia  Hawaii  Idaho  Illinois  Indiana  Iowa  Kansas 
Kentucky  Louisiana Maine  Maryland  Massachusetts  Michigan  Minnesota  Mississippi 
Missouri  Montana  Nebraska  Nevada  New Hampshire  New Jersey  New Mexico 
New York  North Carolina  North Dakota  Ohio  Oklahoma  Oregon  Pennsylvania 
Rhode Island  South Carolina  South Dakota  Tennessee  Texas  Utah  Vermont 
Virginia  Washington  West Virginia  Wisconsin  Wyoming   


Certification/Licensure Requirements by Venue



Governing Body

Contact Person

Mailing Address

Email Address



Last Updated

Key: Nat'l=National Certification required; 
State=State Certification and/or Licensure required
If it is blank, this means that no certification/licensure is required, or we have been unable to obtain the necessary information



State Agencies


All Venues

None Required

New Hampshire   Nat'l Nat'l Nat'l     326-I:7 Licensure Required; with exemptions. –
I. No person shall receive remuneration as an interpreter for the deaf or hard of hearing or represent oneself as an interpreter for the deaf or hard of hearing in this state after January 1, 2003, unless such person is licensed in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.
II. The board shall license each applicant who satisfies the requirements of the board at either a national level license or a state level license. Upon payment of a license fee for each license level, the board shall issue to such person a certificate of licensure which shall be evidence of the right to practice at the appropriate level as an interpreter for the deaf and hard of hearing.
III. An interpreter for the deaf and hard of hearing certified by the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf, the National Association of the Deaf, or the New Hampshire Interpreter classification process prior to the effective date of this chapter shall be accepted for licensure by the board, at the appropriate license level, without examination, provided that all such certified persons comply with all other requirements of the board under this chapter.
IV. The following persons shall be exempt from the license requirements of this chapter:
(a) Nonresident certified or licensed interpreters working in this state fewer than 250 hours in the previous calendar year, or as otherwise qualified by rules by the board, provided that such interpreter shall be subject to disciplinary proceedings of the board.
(b) Interpreters for the deaf and hard of hearing working in religious settings.
(c) Interpreters working in emergency situations where the parties determine that the delay to obtain a licensed interpreter is likely to cause injury or loss.
(d) Students exempted under RSA 326-I:8.
(e) Interpreters employed by a school district for a K-12 program (see Educational Interpreter Requirements below)
V. The recipient of services shall have the right to apply to the department of education for, and to receive, a waiver in writing from using a licensed interpreter and shall accept all responsibility for such action.

Educational Interpreters: EIPA written and performance requirement for all of our ed interps. Must pass with a 3.5 on performance and then apply for state certification, which means they must keep up professional development hours to maintain certification. Program for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing H. Dee Clanton, Program Specialist Adult Learning and Rehabilitation Division 
78 Regional Drive
Concord, NH 03301  603-271-3471 603-271-7095 12/6/2003
New Jersey EIPA Nat'l        

The state requires a 3.0 or above on the EIPA for Educational Interpreters.

New Jersey Administrative Code 6A:9: Professional Licensure and Standards, Subchapter 13.18.  This is the new certification for educational interpreters in New Jersey.  Please note that all educational interpreters must have met the emergency certification requirements by September 1, 2005.  All educational interpreters must meet the standard certification requirements via the academic route or the performance route by September 1, 2008. 

The certification for educational interpreters includes 3 endorsements: sign language interpreting, oral interpreting, cued speech transliteration.   This is commensurate with the language of the IDEIA proposed regulations in 300.34 (c) 4.

At this time NJ has an amendment before the State Board of Education which will include the certification requirements for substitute educational interpreters.   All educational interpreters who provide substitute educational interpreting will need to have a criminal history check, fingerprinting, and meet a minimum of the emergency certification requirements (high school diploma/GED and a passing score on a performance assessment).    The amendment also includes an extension for the standard certification timeline to September 2009.  It is anticipated that  this amendment will be in place by June, 2006.

PowerPoint presentation from the summer of 2005 which highlights the major components of the certification code and the amendment.  This presentation was prepared to assist the educational interpreters with the emergency certification process and clarified the options for standard certification.

Court Interpreting Guidelines - 

EIPDC information for Education Interpreters - 

New Mexico EIPA Nat'l Nat'l       State Licensure New Mexico requires all signed language interpreters to be licensed in order to protect deaf and hard of hearing consumers. Practicing without a license is a misdemeanor punishable by up to 364 days in jail and/or up to a $1000 fine. Interpreting is defined as any form of facilitating communication in a visual form, regardless of the individual’s job title or position description. Issuing Agency Licenses are issued by the Signed Language Interpreting Practice Board (SLIPB) under the Regulation and Licensing Department (RLD). RLD is responsible for licensure of more than 200 professions in the state of New Mexico. The statute, rules, forms and a searchable database of licensed interpreters can be found at the SLIPB website: Licenses There are three types of licenses issued by the SLIPB: • Community – for interpreters who are nationally certified by the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID). These interpreters may work in almost any setting (court work requires further credentialing). • Educational – for interpreters who hold a nationally¬recognized educational interpreting credential ¬the ED: K¬12 credential from RID. This license is valid only for K¬12 interpreting; never for any community or post¬secondary settings. • Provisional – for interpreters who are working toward certification. This license may be held for up to five years and qualifies the interpreter to work in simple educational and community settings. Specialized Settings Not all interpreters are qualified to work in all settings. Specialized training in specific skills and vocabulary are required for many types of interpreting, such as work in medical, mental health, legal, and post¬secondary environments. It is the responsibility of the interpreter to only accept work for which he or she is qualified. This requirement is established in the Code of Professional Conduct developed by RID and the National Association of the Deaf (NAD), which is included below. Interpreters with a provisional license are almost never permitted to interpret in court, and should generally not work in medical, mental health, or legal settings. Code of Professional Conduct All licensed interpreters are required to adhere to the RID¬NAD Code of Professional Conduct (CPC). The CPC assures accountability, responsibility, and trust to the individuals served by interpreting professionals. Complaints Individuals who wish to file a complaint against an individual for interpreting without a license or for a violation of the Code of Professional Conduct may access the necessary procedure and form on the SLIPB website: Anyone may file a complaint, which will then be investigated and the individual against whom the complaint is file will have the opportunity to respond. Complaints go before the Board at their regular meetings, but all names are removed before the complaint is presented to the Board to assure neutrality. The Board has several options, ranging from dismissing the complaint, to imposing a fine, to referring the complaint to the Attorney General for prosecution. Exemptions The following are statutory exemptions from the licensure requirement: • nonresident interpreters working in New Mexico less than thirty calendar days per year; • interpreting in religious or spiritual settings; • interpreting in informal settings for friends, families or guests; • interpreting in emergency situations where the deaf, hard¬of¬hearing or deaf¬blind person or that person's legal representative decides that the delay necessary to obtain a licensed interpreter is likely to cause injury or loss to the consumer; • the activities of a supervised interpreter intern or student who is enrolled in an interpreter education program; or • multilingual interpreting in order to accommodate the personal choice of the consumer. New Mexico Commission for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Persons Interim Executive Director: Shannon Smith 2500 Louisiana Blvd. NE, Suite 400 
Albuquerque, NM 87110  800.489.8536 - Toll Free
505.881.8824 - V/TTY
505.881.8831 - Fax 5/11/2006
New York   Nat'l (but under suspension due to critical shortage)         The only information we have (thank you Sherry Ientilucci):
Please visit these links for more information: 
ESAD's latest update on their proposal for state licensure of interpreters
North Carolina EIPA State State State State   The state requires a 3.5 or above on the EIPA for Educational Interpreters.

Proposed bill passed and all interpreters need to be licensed (and nationally certified) by 7/1/03. 

Educational interpreters are required by the State Board of Education to pass the EIPA, with a score of at least 3.0, in order to remain or obtain employment.

For information on licenses, please visit the licensing board's website 

You may also wish to contact NC Division of Services for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing .

  Rachel Ragin

North Dakota           X Sorry - I have incomplete information - please email me at with your state's requirements.                
Ohio State           Interpreters working in pre-K-12 public schools are required to have a 5 yr associate license issued by the Ohio Dept of Education. To be eligible for a license, interpreters must be graduates of an Ohio interpreter degree program approved by ODE. There is no performance-based standard at this time. Licensed interpreters must earn 18 CEUs for renewal, with CEUs approved through Local Professional Development Committees at the school or district level. The full text of the licensure bill, which applies to all licensed educators, is available at There are also substitute licenses (for those who are contracted as subs) and temporary licenses (for those enrolled in a program leading to licensure). Interpreters from out of state may be able to apply for alternative licensure.

For more information, please visit the website for Interpreting and Sign Language Resources at the Ohio School for the Deaf:             1/20/2006
Oklahoma EIPA Nat'l Nat'l       Appears that legal venues require certification, though there is an exception that a person with the highest qualifications must be used. Bill recently passed: 

In 2002, oKLAHOMA passed a law requiring k-12 educational interpreters to prove a minimum level of competence: SOURCE: 

What Are the Qualifications and How Do I Register?

An individual is not automatically added to the educational interpreter registry because they work in a school setting as an interpreter. Oklahoma State law (Oklahoma Educational Interpreter Act) has set forth two areas of requirements that must be satisfied in order to work as an educational interpreter in Oklahoma. It is first mandated that an interpreter meet one of the following requirements: Be a graduate from ITP program, BA/BS degree, OR have worked a minimum of 3 years experience in educational setting. Additionally, it is necessary for the interpreter's sign skills to be assessed. Those skills must then meet the following guidelines: QAST (Quality Assurance Screening Test) Level III, OR EIPA (Educational Interpreter Performance Assessment) 3.5 

The State Department of Education (SDE) requires the interpreter's college transcript, resume, and references along with assessment level awarded to make the determination if an interpreter is indeed qualified under the law to work as an educational interpreter. If an interpreter is not registered as educational interpreter with the State Department of Education, that individual is not considered qualified to work as an educational interpreter. 

The educational interpreter advisory committee does require interpreters with EIPA certification to get CEUs according to the law. These CEUs must be submitted to SDE. It is expected that EIPA testing will be moving under Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID). At that time, RID's CEU requirement will also need to be satisfied and those CEUs will need to be submitted to SDE as well.             2/12/2006
Oregon  EIPA  RID       X Other information that might be helpful:

Oregon Courts, Oregon Judicial Department
- The Oregon Judicial Department, CIS has never required certification to work in Oregon courts either by statute or policy.
- Since January 1, 2012, OJD as offered the ASL Oregon Certified Court Interpreter Credential to sign language interpreters. In order to obtain certified court interpreter status, a sign language interpreter must, among other requirements, hold an SC:L from RID.
- By statute (ORS 45.288): ". . . the court, hearing officer or the designee of the hearing officer shall appoint a qualified interpreter who has been certified under ORS 45.291. If no certified interpreter is available, able or willing to serve, the court, hearing officer or the designee of the hearing officer shall appoint a qualified interpreter."
- By policy we schedule based on certification, geography and skill match. Call:  503-731-3283

Minimum Qualifications as defined in OAR 581-015-2035:
(a) The sign language interpreter must achieve a passing score of 3.5 or above on the EIPA Performance Test or hold RID NIC, CI or CT Certification, and;
(b) (A) Hold a Bachelor’s or Associate’s Degree from an Interpreter Education Program or in a related educational field; or
(B) Achieve a passing score on the EIPA Written Test.
Oregon Department of Education, Deaf/Hard of Hearing Educational Services
Julie York, Interagency Educational Services – Director, Call:  503-947-5786

Oregon’s Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services (ODHHS)
Call:  503-947-5183

Oregon Deaf & Hard of Hearing Services Program Georgia Lynn Ortiz, Program Manager 30 N. Webster, Suite A
Portland, Oregon 97217 (503) 280-6005 tty
(503) 280-6005 vp (Sorenson)  IP
(800) 358-3117 v/tty
N/A 6/26/2013
Pennsylvania EIPA State State State State   The state requires a 3.5 or above on the EIPA for Educational Interpreters.

House Bill No. 445 provides that all sign language interpreters practicing in the Commonwealth must be licensed, with few exceptions. See  Approved by Governor Rendell on 7/2/04, and last action was on 7/11/04. To become effective 7/1/2005

IMPORTANT: If you are a PA interpreter, or other interpreter who wishes to register with the Commonwealth per the Pennsylvania registration requirements, you can so by going online to Cost for registration is $100/2 years and should be mailed to: 
Attention Interpreter Registration:
Office for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
1521 North Sixth Street
Harrisburg, PA 17102  Office for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Kenneth Puckett, Director 1521 North Sixth Street 
Harrisburg, PA 17102  717-783-4912 717-783-4913 6/21/2005