Regulations Governing Interpreter Requirements, State-by-State

This website is maintained without financial support. We depend completely on you, the reader,
to provide us with updates and corrections. The last time a given state's regs has been updated appears in the right-most column. If it seems outdated, it's because we have no received any new information.
It is the responsibility of the reader to inform us of updates, as we do no actively pursue them.
Please email these to

Alabama  Alaska  Arizona  Arkansas  California  Colorado  Connecticut  Delaware 
District of Columbia  Florida  Georgia  Hawaii  Idaho  Illinois  Indiana  Iowa  Kansas 
Kentucky  Louisiana Maine  Maryland  Massachusetts  Michigan  Minnesota  Mississippi 
Missouri  Montana  Nebraska  Nevada  New Hampshire  New Jersey  New Mexico 
New York  North Carolina  North Dakota  Ohio  Oklahoma  Oregon  Pennsylvania 
Rhode Island  South Carolina  South Dakota  Tennessee  Texas  Utah  Vermont 
Virginia  Washington  West Virginia  Wisconsin  Wyoming   


Certification/Licensure Requirements by Venue



Governing Body

Contact Person

Mailing Address


Email Address



Last Updated

Key: Nat'l=National Certification required; 
State=State Certification and/or Licensure required
If it is blank, this means that no certification/licensure is required, or we have been unable to obtain the necessary information



State Agencies


All Venues

None Required

Rhode Island State or Nat'l State or Nat'l State or Nat'l State or Nat'l State or Nat'l   A person must be licensed in order to practice the profession according to CHAPTER 5-71, Interpreters for the Deaf. Must have national certification or passed state screening. Board of Interpreters for the Deaf Donna Dickerman Division of Health Services Regulations, Health Professions
3 Capitol Hill - Room 104
Providence, RI 02908  401-222-2827 401-222-1272 12/6/2003
South Carolina   Nat'l         The only exception is in the SC legal system where RID certification or NAD 4 or 5 are required. This law can be found at: South Carolina Interpreter Recruitment & Training Project Steve Fitzmaurice, Program Coordinator South Carolina Association of the Deaf 
437 Center Street
West Columbia, SC 29169  803-794-3175 803-796-1133 12/6/2003
South Dakota State State State State State   Effective July 1, 2006, the Department of Human Services implemented new interpreter certification policies and procedures. During the 2006 legislative session new interpreter certification laws (HB1248) were adopted changing South Dakota certification. Along with South Dakota Certification level III, IV, and V, South Dakota now recognizes national certification (RID & NAD), EIPA (Educational Interpreter Proficiency Assessment) certification with a score of 3.5 or higher, and will be issuing provisional certification for graduates of an accredited IT (Interpreter Training) Program. All certifications will require initial and annual registration. South Dakota will no longer be offering interpreter certification testing. All future interpreter certification testing must be taken through the national organization (RID) or through EIPA. (courtesy of Kasey Entwisle)                 1/17/2011
Tennessee           X We do not have a State Interpreter Licensure Law as of yet. We do, however, require that sign language interpreters in public schools pass the Educational Interpreters Performance Assessment and our courtroom interpreters are certified and/or qualified. Some judges require strictly certified interpreters and proof must be given. State Vocational Rehabilitation Offices require certified and/or qualified interpreters for their needs - Signed, Thom Roberts, Executive Director, TN Council f/t Deaf & Hard of Hearing

Tenn Education Interpreters Employment Standards

Tenn Interpreter Law  Tennessee Council for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Thom Roberts, Executive Director TN Council f/t Deaf & Hard of Hearing
400 Deaderick St., 11th Floor
Nashville, Tn 37248-6000  1.615.313.4918 (Voice)

1.800.270.1349 (TTY)

1.615.741.6508 4/1/2005
Texas State or Nat'l State or Nat'l        

I wish to thank Randi Turner, TX DARS, and Brent L. Pitt, Texas Education Agency (SDHH) for the information below

1. K-12 educational interpreters -  Interpreting services for students who are deaf shall be provided by an interpreter who is certified in the appropriate language mode(s), if certification in such mode(s) is available. If certification is available, the interpreter must be a certified member of or certified by the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID) or the Texas Board for Evaluation of Interpreters (BEI), Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services (DARS), Office for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services (DHHS).

Source: Texas Education Agency Rule 19 Texas Administrative Code, Chapter 89, Subchapter AA,  Section 89.1131.(d)

2. The state of Texas also mandates specialty certification for court proceedings, either Texas Court Interpreter Certification (CIC), or the RID SC:L. A court proceeding is one that occurs in a court or under a court's jurisdiction, with respect to a civil or criminal lawsuit. Court proceedings can include, but are not necessarily limited to, court hearings, trials, depositions, mediations, arbitrations, and arraignments. A court is a Texas state, county, municipal, or justice court. It is not an agency's administrative law proceeding. Also, the CIC or the SC:L is required when giving the warning (Miranda) in a criminal setting.

Source: Texas Code of Criminal Procedure Section 38.31, 38.22; Texas Civil Practice and Remedies, Code Chapter 21; Texas Government Code, Chapter 57.  then click on Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services 

Additional information is available at

Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services, Division for Rehabilitation Services, Office for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services David Myers, Executive Director P.O. Box 12904 
Austin, TX 78711   512-407-3250 512-407-3299 4/21/2008
Utah EIPA State or Nat'l State or Nat'l State or Nat'l State or Nat'l   The state requires a 3.5 or above on the EIPA for Educational Interpreters.

All interpreter in the State of Utah are required to be either State of Utah certified or hold RID. Those in public education need to hold either Utah Certification, RID, or EIPA @ 3.5 or above.  Division of Services for the DEAF and HARD of HEARING Mitchell Jensen, Administrator Utah Community Center of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
5709 South 1500 West 
Taylorsville, UT 84123-5217  801-263-4860 801-263-4865 4/02/2005
Vermont           X Sorry - I have incomplete information - please email me at with your state's requirements.                  
Virginia State Nat'l         Currently to work for the state of VA you must have national certification to work in courts, State VQAS III or above to work in school system. You must be registered with e-VA and under contract with VDDHH, and minimal VQAS II to work for state agencies.                 4/12/2004
Washington EIPA/RID           EIPA at level 3.5 or better or RID Certification (CI, CT, CSC, NIC, etc.), AND passing the EIPA written test to interpret in K-12 settings               12/5/14
West Virginia   Nat'l         WV Code, Article 14A: West Virginia Interpreter for the Deaf Act: A qualified interpreter means one who is certified by the NAD or RID or in the event a certified interpreter is not available, qualifications are otherwise determined. For educational, 3.5 (EIPA) is required. Any community interpeter: legal, medical.... as of Oct 1, 2013 VAQS or NIC will be required. West Virginia Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Deanna Stone, Executive Director Capitol Complex 
Bldg. 6, Rm 863 
Charleston, WV 25305  866-461-3578 304-558-0937 3/31/13
Wisconsin EIPA           To interpret in Wisconsin, you must adhere to the guidelines published at               6/26/2013
Wyoming           X Per Lori Cielinski, To my knowledge there are very few regulations and standards. I do think there is a statute on the books about requirements for legal interpreting. Also the Department of Education is in the process or has recently approved certification standards for Educational Interpreters. The Division of Vocational Rehabilitation in cooperation with WYRID developed a pay rate form that looks at certification, skills, experience, etc. and the determines a pay rate which is used by DVR for our contract but is also for the most part used as the rate for free-lance interpreting. There are no interpreter referral agencies or businesses in the state. Division of Vocational Rehabilitation State Coordinator: Lori Cielinski Division of Vocational Rehabilitation
851 Werner Court, Suite 120
Casper, WY 82601 800-452-1408 307-472-5601 4/1/2005